Help with funding.

There are a number of different ways to fund your care. When you contact us to enquire about arranging care, we look at all your options as a matter of course but here is a summary of the various Government, local authority and NHS funding

Personal budgets

The government allocates a Personal Budget to each person who is eligible, which is given to applicants after a successful assessment. This budget can be paid to you directly by your local authority or you can instruct them to make payments to your care provider on your behalf . You can also choose a combination of the above (for example, a direct payment with some council-arranged care and support).

Direct payments

You may qualify for financial help with your care via Direct Payments provided by your local council. This funding gives you the most control over your care and means that if you are unhappy with the services you’re getting, you can decide to change who gives you the care services without the process of going through the local authority. However, with this freedom comes the responsibility of accounting for how the budget is spent as well as additional responsibilities if you decide to become an employer and hire a personal assistant with your direct payment.

Local authority funded care services

Your local authority (or council) may cover some or all of the cost of care in some circumstances, but its help is means-tested. This means that who pays depends on what your needs are, how much money you have, and what level and type of care and support you require. For most people needing social care services, the first place to start is by asking your local authority for an assessment of your social care and support needs.
If the local authority considers that you need support, it will then carry out an assessment of your finances. Currently, local authorities won’t provide care services if you have more than £23,250 in savings and property (your ‘capital’). However, from April 2020, this threshold will rise (as well as the introduction of a cap on care costs), so more people will be eligible for help.

Private payments

If your relation is not eligible for Government funding then there are a number of options available to help fund any care needed privately. These may include investing in an ‘immediate needs’ annuity or releasing some or all of the equity in your home. In all cases we would advise that you sought long-term care funding advice from a specialist financial adviser.

You may qualify for some level of funding allowances from your local authority or the NHS:

Attendance Allowance

This can be claimed by anyone over 65 who is mentally or physically disabled for help with personal care. Current payments are either £55.10 or £82.30 per week (depending on the level of care you require) and are not means tested, are tax free and are usually added to pension payments. You can apply for Attendance Allowance online and we are always on hand to help you with your application.

NHS Continuing Healthcare and funded nursing care

The NHS fund a non-means tested package of care funding for those with an assessed health need. An assessor will look at your day-to-day needs and the care funding can be used in your own home. The Care to Be Different organisation supports eligible families to secure NHS continuing healthcare funding. You can find out more at or we would be happy to help you through the process.

Pension credit

This tops up your weekly pension income if it is below the threshold (£148.35 if you are single, £226.50 if you have a partner) to provide a guaranteed minimum level of income (Guarantee Credit). These amounts may be more depending on your individual circumstances.

Council tax

Subject to an assessment, and if your savings are less than £16,000, you can apply for your Council Tax payments to be reduced. With a formal diagnosis of dementia, Council tax payments will also be further reduced. Additionally, if a council tax single occupancy reduction is being claimed, a live-in carer will not effect this benefit.